Cables for Power Systems: Part One
This course is designed to give you a concise yet comprehensive overview of all the main aspects of power cable engineering, from initial design and specification to ongoing asset management.
The aim of the course is to deliver a thorough initial grounding in power cables, joints and terminations, including current best practice and standard operational procedures. The course will assess what is currently available in the cables market, including the latest cable technology, as well as the issues surrounding cable installation and testing.
A highly experienced team of speakers has been selected for their cables experience and expertise, and they will be available throughout the course for you to discuss your cable projects and problems.
Basic Cable Design & Types
- Definition of a cable
- LV, MV and HV
- Protective multiple earthing
Materials & Manufacture
- How power cables are made, what materials are used and why
- Processes used in the manufacture of power cables
- Important characteristics of cable insulation, especially for higher voltage cables
- Current rating reference documents
- Current rating of cables
- Temperature rating of cables
- Rating factors
Joints & Terminations
- How power cables are joined together and connected to equipment
- Role and importance of joints and terminations in power cable networks
- Various types of accessories in use by UK utilities and industry
- Routes-excavation techniques
- Cable laying, survey, contractor, costs
Standards & Specifications
- Rules for design and performance of power cables and their accessories
- Understanding of the various types of cable and accessory standards, what they are for, who makes and controls them, and what are their benefits and limitations
- Typical fault causes and symptoms
- Effects and implications
- Best Practice to minimise cable and accessory service failures
- Understanding why cables and accessories may fail in service, and what can be done to maximise their reliability
Programme may be subject to amendment
Course duration 2 Days
Course Location Capenhurst, Chester
Need some help?
Fill in the below form to be contacted about more course dates or if you have any other enquiries.