Lightning Protection for MOD Sites with Explosives Facilities
This course will give you a comprehensive overview of lightning protection for Ministry of Defence sites that contain explosives facilities. The course explains the lightning protection and earthing requirements of Joint Services Publication JSP482 and gives examples of how to protect explosive facilities to the British Standard BS EN 62305.
You will gain a thorough understanding of the design, maintenance and compliance testing of lightning protection systems, with particular reference to buildings containing explosives, illustrated with case studies of both good and bad practice.
The course includes a lightning protection workshop in which you will be able to discuss your own projects and problems with the expert team and your fellow delegates.
Lightning – the basics
- How is lighting generated?
- Where will it strike?
- How much will we get?
- Positive and negative lightning
- Direct and indirect strikes
- Working it all out!
- Effects on structures, OHLs
- Effects on supplies to MOD sites
Basic protection Strategies
- Basic lightning protection systems
- Protecting personnel
- Sources of lightning surges
- Protecting buildings
- Economic considerations
JSP482 Lightning Protection Requirements
- How BS EN 62305 differs from BS6651
- Linking 62305 with MOD practice
- JSP482 and ESTC Standard No.6 protection requirements
- Particular requirements for explosives
- The assessment and treatment of risk
- Basic Rolling Sphere approach
- Good and bad practices
- Transferring surges across sites
LV surge protection
- Description of SPDs
- Equipment withstand
- Choice and practical application of SPDs
- Installation examples
Earthing and facility protection
- Lightning earthing specific to JSP482
- How to protect a facility
- Examples of existing MOD plants
Examples of explosive facility protection
- How to protect explosive storage according to BS EN 62305
- Building and underground storage protection strategy
Protection of Buildings containing explosives
- Examples of Good and bad practice
- Case studies of actual studies
Maintenance, testing and compliance of LPS
- MOD manual and records
- Earthing for MOD sites
- Basic procedures
- Measuring resistivity
- ‘Fall of Potential’ demonstration
Earthing Measurement Exercise
Programme may be subject to amendment
Course duration 2 Days
Course Location Capenhurst, Chester