Project: Electric Nation - with Western Power Distribution
01 February 2022
Your Electric Vehicle – Your Smart Charge
Client: Western Power Distribution (WPD) in UK
Launched in 2016 in the UK, Electric Nation was the world largest home smart charging trial with 673 participants each owning a plug-in electric vehicle (EV). Between then and the end of the project in 2019, trial participants had provided over 2 million hours of car charging data from over 130,000 charging events, providing unrivalled insights into EV charging habits.
Participants also provided the Electric Nation project with invaluable information about their experiences both on smart charging and time of use tariffs as well as other aspects of EV ownership by completing regular customer research questionnaires.
EA Technology played a pivotal role in the successes of Electric Nation, managing the project and trials, including responsibility for:
- Trial design and management
- Testing of smart charging algorithms before they were released to participants
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Production of technical reports showing findings from the trial
- Managing communication and dissemination activities
EA Technology also created the Network Assessment Tool (NAT) which provides WPD with a software platform that will predict which parts of their network are likely to be affected by EV uptake. The tool identifies the level of penetration that could cause issues on the low voltage network and predicts when this may occur.
The development of the project deliverables is being informed by a large-scale trial involving EV drivers that will:
1. Expand understanding of the impact of charging at home with a diverse range of plug-in EVs – with charge rates up to 7kW+, and a range of battery sizes from 20kWh to 80kWh+.
2. Build a better understanding of how vehicle usage affects charging behaviour.
3. Evaluate the reliability and consumer acceptance towards electricity demand control - taking energy from vehicles and putting it back into the grid.
Check out our EV consultancy services: