30 July 2020
Creating Safer, Stronger, Smarter networks with next-generation LV network management equipment. The ALVIN® Family of Low Voltage network restoration and control products is the most technically advanced system for safe fault management and network automation.
ALVIN® stands for Automated Low Voltage Intelligent Network.
The performance of Electricity Networks is having to evolve to meet the demands and expectations of customers and accommodate the uptake of new Low Carbon Technologies. The sophistication of network control that has been successfully deployed on High Voltage networks now needs to be deployed on the Low Voltage networks with the same capability, but due to the scale of Low Voltage networks, at a greatly reduced cost.
ALVIN® offers the following solutions:
- Monitoring of the Low Voltage Network: The ALVIN® system can be configured to create the required communication infrastructure to understand and control the Low Voltage network
- Managing the increasing stresses on Low Voltage networks due to Low Carbon Technologies:
- Distributed generation (rise in voltage)
- Increase in demand
- Capacity sharing between substations
- Remote network reconfiguration: ALVIN can change the location of network open points, temporarily interconnect radial networks or disconnect interconnected networks
- Automated network reconfiguration: If communication fails the ALVIN® can be programmed to make independent intelligent decisions to restore the electricity supply safely
- Synchronisation with High Voltage automation schemes:
- High Voltage automation schemes with interconnected Low Voltage networks may require the interconnection to be temporarily disconnected during periods of fault to prevent back feeds of fault current via the Low Voltage. ALVIN® is able to react to an external trip request from the High Voltage Protection scheme and isolate the Low Voltage network to prevent the back feed of fault current.
Download more information using the link below: